April 3rd deadline for a decision before May 1st
In addition to the regular application process, Phillips offers an early response process for those high school students whose college choice would be impacted by whether or not they receive a Phillips Scholarship. The first 300 applications received by 12 noon on April 3rd, 2018 will be considered. Applicants must submit a completed New Application for High School Students, including financial aid information from the college they plan to attend and all other required materials. Students will be notified by Thursday, April 26th of one of the following decisions: awarded a scholarship, deferred to the regular application pool, or not awarded a scholarship for this year.
- For students who are deferred to the regular application process, their application will continue to be considered and they will receive notification in mid-June of a decision.
- For applicants who are not awarded a scholarship and are not deferred to the regular application process, this is a final decision for this year.
Any high school applicant who submits the New High School Application by 12 noon on April 3rd, but after the 300 quota has been reached, will automatically be deferred to the regular application process. These applicants will be notified by email shortly after the April 3rd deadline to let them know that their application will be considered with all applications submitted by the May 1st deadline. Deferred applicants will also receive an email notification in mid-June notifying them of a final decision.
Any applicant who begins the New High School Application and intends to submit by April 3rd but misses the deadline, can continue to work on their application and submit it by May 1st.
Next Steps & Directions
- The application can be done in multiple sittings.
- The application can be completed on a computer or tablet, but not on a mobile device.
- Be sure to give recommenders time to complete their forms. As soon as you enter a recommender’s name and email, and save your application, their recommendation request will be emailed.
- The New Application for High School Students is available here.
- Official high school transcript for all academic work through 1st semester of senior year.
- Two recommendation forms – Guidance Counselor Form (and letter) and Recommender Form.
- 2018-2019 Student Aid Report from FAFSA.
- Financial Aid Award for 2018-2019 from the college where the student would like to attend.
- A resume highlighting activities, jobs, honors and service.
- Tax forms, mailed/postmarked by April 3rd to the Stephen Phillips Scholarship, P.O. Box 870, Salem MA 01970
- 2016 IRS 1040 tax forms of parents and all schedules. Please do not send state taxes.
- 2016 IRS 1040 tax forms of student and all schedules (or W-2 forms if taxes were not filed). Please do not send state taxes.
- 2017 W-2 forms of student
For your security, be sure to black out any social security numbers or bank routing information that appears on your tax forms. It is more secure to mail the redacted tax forms than to send them electronically.
- Essays and short answers are part of the application.
- Additional recommender forms and/or letters of recommendation are optional but may be helpful.