Thanks to the generous support of the Janey Fund Charitable Trust, we are now administering a new Western Massachusetts Scholarship Program. Details are as follows:
- Applicants must be permanent residents of Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden or Hampshire counties in Massachusetts, but may attend college anywhere in the United States.
- Applicants must have demonstrated through their activities in high school and/or choice of college major a commitment to social justice and/or environmental causes.
- Applicants must be United States citizens, or noncitizens with a current lawful presence and work authorization in the U.S.
- Awards are limited to students entering their first year of a bachelor’s degree program at a four-year college in the U.S.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0 to be considered.
- Approximately 10 new awards granted each year.
- Applicants must have financial need. It is our intent to award students with Expected Family Contributions (EFC) of $10,000 or less, although we do consider families with special, extenuating financial situations. Before beginning the application, use the financial calculator on the Phillips website to be sure that you qualify financially. Please keep in mind:
- 76% of newly awarded students in 2017 had family AGIs of less than $80,000,
- 74% of newly awarded students in 2017 had federal EFCs of less than $5,000.
Applicants who wish to be considered for the Western Massachusetts Scholarship will use the Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship application, and all applicants for the Western Massachusetts Scholarship Program will also be considered for traditional Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship awards. Applicants will receive a single response notifying them if they have been granted either award.
Applicants who are awarded a Western Massachusetts Scholarship may be invited to an event for recipients, and will be expected to attend any such gathering.