- The intent of this award is to enable students to attend college without accumulating burdensome debt.
- In most cases, the Phillips Scholarship award ranges from $3,000 to $15,000 yearly.
- The award is renewable for up to four undergraduate years provided a GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is maintained and financial need does not change substantially.
- All grants will be paid directly to the institution.
- High school seniors entering college and returning college students attending accredited U.S. colleges or universities are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Awards may only be used for undergraduate study and are limited to those seeking a first bachelor’s degree.
- Awards will only be granted to applicants who are permanent residents of New England: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or Vermont; however, recipients may attend college anywhere in the United States.
The Award in Brief
Awards from the Phillips Scholarship range from $3,000 to as high as $15,000 in a few cases. In general, the average award each year is in the $7,000 to $7,500 range. In 2019, most new awards were between $3,000 and $12,000.
Award amounts may change from year to year as recipients’ financial situations change. If recipients transfer to a different college, awards will be recalculated to consider the different costs and award packages of the new colleges.