If you have information that is required to complete your application accessible on a website, do not send us the web link. Instead, take a screenshot of the website to upload to your application.
Please be sure that your name or your student ID number, as well as your college name, show on the screenshot. If your screenshot includes the website URL, that will often provide the college name.
How to Take a Screenshot on a PC:
- The “Print Screen” button may be labeled “Prt Sc”, “Prnt Scrn”, “Print Scrn”, or similar. On most keyboards, the button is usually found next to the “F12″ and “Scroll Lock” keys. On laptop keyboards, you may have to press the “Fn” or “Function” key to access “Print Screen”.
- Looking at the screen you want to save, hold down the “Alt” key and press “Print Screen”.
- Open Microsoft Paint. To open Paint, open the Start menu, click on “All Programs,” click on “Accessories,” and click on “Paint” to open it.
- Right-click on the canvas and select “Paste.” Your screenshot will be pasted onto the canvas.
- Save the file using “save as” and upload it. Paint will automatically save your file as .PNG, which is fine.
How to Take a Screenshot on a Mac:
- To capture the entire desktop, press Command-Shift-3.
- The screen shot will be automatically saved as a .PNG file on your desktop. Rename the file so that you can easily recognize it (for example, “SARscreen.png” or “FinAid.scrnshot.png” then upload it in the normal manner.
Combining Multiple Files as One
If you have used multiple screenshots to capture a document that you need to upload, you must combine them into one document to upload.
How to Combine Files in Word:
- Open a new blank Word Document.
- Click “Insert” and “Picture” and then select the file that you created from a screen shot (or from a photo taken by a smart phone).
- Insert the first screen shot. Make sure that the information is readable. Then move the cursor below the first screen shot but still on the same page.
- Click “Insert” and “Pictures” again and navigate to the second file. Insert that file.
- Do this until all screen shots are in that word document. Save the word document (as .doc or .docx). Even if it is multiple pages, it is still only one file and will upload successfully.
How to Combine Files in Adobe Acrobat:
Many personal computers run Adobe Reader, which does not have the same capabilities as Adobe Acrobat. Make sure you are using Adobe Acrobat to combine files this way.
- Open Adobe Acrobat.
- Click on the “Create” button and select “Merge Files into a Single PDF” from the dropdown.
- A new window will open. Click on the “Add Files” button to browse for the PDF files that you would like to combine. You can select these saved files from your desktop.
- Use the “Move Up” and “Move Down” buttons to put your PDFs in the correct order. Make sure that “Single PDF” is checked.
- When you have added all the PDFs you would like to combine and have ordered them correctly, click “Combine Files.” Then Save your new PDF.
How to Combine Files on a Mac using Preview:
- Open all the PDF documents that you want to combine in Preview.
- Select each Preview window, then choose View > Thumbnails to open the Thumbnails pane.
- Select the thumbnails of the pages you want to move. You can press the Shift key or the Command key while clicking each page thumbnail to select multiple thumbnails at once.
- Drag the thumbnails from one PDF window to the thumbnails pane of the other PDF window. Move your pointer to where you want the pages to appear in the PDF. Release your pointer to move the pages to the location you’ve selected.
Note: When dragging the thumbnail to the top or the bottom of the thumbnail pane, a divider line may appear. To ensure your pages are inserted into the current document, do not drag the thumbnail beyond the divider line.
- If you need to re-order the pages in a PDF, you can continue to drag and drop the thumbnails of each page in the sidebar of the Preview window. Then Save your new PDF.