The Efrosini Demoulas Scholars Program
The Efrosini Demoulas Scholars Program awards high school students from select Massachusetts counties entering a four-year college anywhere in the United States. In addition to financial support, the program offers one-on-one mentoring support.
The program was established in loving memory of Efrosini Demoulas, a beloved wife, mother, and grandmother who immigrated to the US from Greece in 1914.
The program awards scholarships to talented and hardworking students from low-income families who exemplify Efrosini’s key character traits: strong, driven, resilient, determined to succeed, and community & family oriented.
Strong and driven – she was a devoted grandmother, mother, and friend, who supported her family first and set an example for them as an independent and hardworking individual.
Resilient, and determined to succeed – she immigrated to a new country, overcame a language barrier, had a can-do attitude, and knew the importance of a strong work ethic.
Community oriented – she supported her church and helped out other members of the immigrant community, offering rides to whoever needed one. Their home was always open to family and friends for a home cooked meal.
Family oriented – she was loving, supportive, and protective. She dedicated endless hours to caring for her large family and instilled in her children and grandchildren a strong value of education.
- Be permanent Massachusetts residents from the Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, or Suffolk counties.
- Be a high school student entering college, planning to enroll full-time.
- Be academically competitive (the average High School GPA of our current cohorts of scholars is 3.85)
- Be a US Citizen.
- Demonstrate strong financial need. (Applicants generally have an Expected Family Contributions (EFC) of $10,000 or less, although families with special, extenuating financial situations are considered.)
- Participate in the program’s mentoring program.
- Apply using the Phillips Scholarship Application.
The Efrosini Demoulas Scholars program is an initiative of the One Four Three Four Foundation.